The new 2018-19 7DAYS EuroCup season will get underway on July 5, when Euroleague Basketball hosts the competition's regular season draw in Barcelona, Spain. The draw will be streamed live at the official Euroleague Basketball channel on YouTube and on the official EuroCup Facebook page.
The draw is scheduled to begin at 14:15 local time (CEST), following a EuroCup Clubs Meeting, to be held earlier on Thursday. The 2018-19 7DAYS EuroCup Draw will determine the four groups of six teams each that will participate in the competition's regular season, starting in October. The best four teams from each regular season group will advance to the Top 16, which will consist of four groups of four teams who will play six round-robin games beginning in early January 2019. From there, the quarterfinals, semifinals and finals – each consisting of best-of-three playoff series – will decide the 2019 7DAYS EuroCup Champion, who in turn will qualify for the 2019-20 Turkish Airlines EuroLeague.
The draw follows the EB Institute's Annual Workshops, a series of events that brings together players, coaches, staff and executives from Euroleague Basketball clubs to identify the best practices and new initiatives in every aspect of the sport in order to enhance the EuroLeague and EuroCup experience for fans now and in the future.
You can find the 7DAYS EuroCup Draw Criteria and Procedure below:
The draw will be held according to seeds.
• The 24 qualified teams will be divided into six seeding levels, with four teams in each, in accordance with the Club Ranking elaborated for this purpose.
• The performance of teams in European competitions during a three-year period will be used to determine the seeding levels. Each club will get 2 points for a win and 1 point for a tie or loss from the regular season onwards. Additionally, 2 bonus points are allocated for reaching the Last 16, 2 bonus points are allocated for reaching the quarterfinals, 1 bonus point is allocated for reaching the semifinals, and 1 bonus point is allocated for reaching the Finals. The Club Ranking consists of the sum of the club coefficients from the last three years. The results of the worst performing team from each country/domestic league will be added together every year to create a position for that country/domestic league in the Club Ranking. This is the lowest possible position that any club from that country/domestic league can occupy in the draw.
• If two or more teams have the same Club Ranking, the tie will be resolved by the total number of wins during the three-year period. Should a tie persist, the final standings in the Euroleague and if necessary EuroCup from the previous season will be used to break the tie. Should a tie still persist, the final standings in the domestic championship from the previous season (after the playoffs) will be used to break the tie. Should a tie still persist, a draw will be used to break the tie, with Euroleague Basketball determining the method for the draw.
• The first four teams from the Club Ranking participating in the regular season will be 1 Seeds, the next four 2 Seeds, the next four 3 Seeds, the next four 4 Seeds, the next four 5 Seeds, and the remaining four teams will be 6 Seeds.
GROUP DRAW RESTRICTION
The restriction when drawing the teams into groups is the following:
• Two teams from the same country cannot coincide in the same regular season group, except when there are five teams from the same country participating in the regular season. For these purposes, teams qualifying via the Adriatic League will be considered as teams coming from the same country.
GROUP DRAW PROCEDURE
• Teams will be drawn one by one from an urn containing only teams in the same seed, from the 1 Seeds through to the 6 Seeds, until all 24 teams have been selected.
• For each spot drawn, the urn will be emptied and refilled with only those teams from the level drawn, taking into consideration any restrictions.
• In the regular season, teams from the same country may not coincide in the same group. Therefore, when drawing teams from the 2 Seeds through to the 6 Seeds, only those teams from a country different than the ones already drawn into the Group will be placed in the urn. In the case of five teams from the same country participating in the regular season draw, the Group Draw Restrictions will be applied until it is physically impossible.
• e.g.1. If a spot is to be drawn into a group where there is already a team from a specific country, the teams from the country in question will not be placed in the urn.
• e.g.2. If a spot is to be drawn into a group and a certain team(s) cannot be drawn in a later group, this team(s) will be the only one(s) placed in the urn.
• A team may be placed directly into a group in order to follow the restriction mentioned above.
Drawing the teams as explained above will eliminate all possibilities of a blocked situation.
2018-19 DRAW SEEDS
LOKOMOTIV KUBAN KRASNODAR
CRVENA ZVEZDA MTS BELGRADE
ZENIT ST PETERSBURG
DOLOMITI ENERGIA TRENTO
GERMANI BRESCIA LEONESSA
TURK TELEKOM ANKARA
FRAPORT SKYLINERS FRANKFURT
PARTIZAN NIS BELGRADE